Saturday, May 23, 2015

Seiko 5 Sport SNZF15K1 Submariner Automatic Watch

Visit Latest Offer for Seiko SNZF15K1 at Amazon

The watch specification summary:


7s36 Automatic Movement
41.5mm Diameter
Stainless Steel Case/Bracelet
Water Resistance 100m (10bar) 








Review:

The SNZF15 is introduced to us as a dive watch, although dive watch in general should be more accurate. Is it still worth to own the watch? Let's check further before you make the final decision to own it!

Case/Bracelet:
The watch case measures at 41.5mm in diameter, 13.2mm thick, with a screw down exhibition case back.

The supplied 22mm oyster bracelet terminates in a clasp-over-clasp connector. It would be difficult to imagine the watch will be released accidently.

The watch surprisingly weighing only at 165g, you can feel the solid construction as soon as you wear it on your wrist. I would rate the overall fit and finish is excellent.

Crystal/Bezel/Crown:
As with most low-mid tier Seiko's, the crystal uses their proprietary Hardlex material. The crystal is flat in shape, slightly recessed from the bezel.

Speaking of which, the SNFZ15 features a Pepsi bezel (if you want black, go for the '17' model). It's unidirectional with a satisfying click. There is a slight slope to the bezel which I do wish was more pronounced.

It's the crown that is probably my only real bone of contention though. Not being a screw down excludes it from being a true dive watch and it seems to be missing that solid feel compared to the rest of the watch.

Dial/Hands:
A Google search for the SNZF15 is confusing. Some vendors descriptions and pictures clearly show a blue dial, some black. It is, in fact, blue. It's a very dark blue though, and in almost all angles and lighting appears black.

That's a big plus IMHO. The markers are slightly raised with a nice silver trim. The hands have the same, tasteful silver trim, all of which really pop when viewed in the right angle.

The second hand is not the smoothest sweep I've seen, but that's ok. You have the standard day/date at 3'o'clock. Lume should be adequate for most. I can't vouch for 50m underwater, but I don't think this watch belongs down there anyway.

Movement:
At the heart of it all is Seiko's 7s36 movement. The general consensus is that the 7s36 is identical to the 7s26 with the exception of 2 extra, useless jewels. There is many a thread comparing the two movements but you'll probably get bored before you get an answer. It may not be the prettiest to look at, but it's a tried and true movement that can stand a lot of abuse. Lacking are features like hacking seconds and the ability to hand wind.7s26 is a robust and reliable movement engine.

Packaging/Extra's:
Packaging is not fantastic - the presentation box is a glossy cardboard. We'd be hard pressed to complain at this price point, though. Until I start wearing the boxes, my money is better spent on the product itself. Also included is a certificate and generic instructions.

On the wrist:
Being used to dress watches, I had some hesitation about the size. These concerns were quickly laid to rest though - I found it wears very well, never feeling clunky and in the way. Out of the box I was getting +22 seconds a day (averaged over 4 days). To help regulate things I now keep it crown down overnight, so it's been within a minute for the last week. I imagine that will improve over time, as my SNK802 did (from +40s/day to +20s/day). As mentioned before it is a heavy watch, which I love. If you prefer a lighter feel, you may want to consider a different band.

Pro:

Price is low at $150.
Build quality has solid feel and look.

Con:

Not a true diver watch for diving.
Crystal and bracelet can get scratched easily.

Conclusions:

There is a lot to like about the SNZF15. It has all the looks and feel of a timepiece costing many times its asking price. Considering it can be readily had for $150, it makes my few minor quibbles sound petty. If you're looking for a true tool for diving, this may not be the watch for you. But if you want a fun, sporty, day to day watch, this is an absolute steal. Recommended! 

No comments:

Post a Comment